Sunday, April 1, 2012

Time Capsule

I've been thinking. If I were to fill a time capsule that won't be opened for 100 years with 10 items reflecting who I am today, what would it contain. I think about who I am, right now, right at this particular moment in time, and what I would want future generations of my family to know about me. These are a few of the things that come to mind...
  • First and foremost, a picture of my family. Me, the boys, hubby,  my mom, Jonah the furbaby. There are, of course, many other family members who are important in my life, but these 4 (well, 5, counting the dog), take the cake. I'd love to put in the scrapbooks, but that would mean the boys wouldn't have access to them, so that's out. Oh - I could scrapbook 1 page with the family pic on it!
  • Pictures of the boys' birth families, because I don't want their importance in my life - our lives - to ever be forgotten. I'd also include their full names (at least to the best of my knowledge) and the last know addresses we have for them. You know, so that my future great, great grandchildren can keep in touch with that part of their family as well. Hopefully it won't be necessary as there will already be a strong relationship there.
  • (And the rest of these are in no particular order) My Kleen Kanteen water bottle, because it's always with me. Luckily, I have two, so it wouldn't be a big sacrifice to lose one.
  • A book. Now, the problem is I can't decide which one. I have several favorites, but I'm not willing to part with any of those. However, I also don't want to put in a crappy one (that I wouldn't mind losing), because, well, then I'd look lame. So, I'll have to put some more thought into this one.
  • My Professional Social Worker lapel pin. Being a social worker is a big part of who I am at my core. But, frankly, I don't ever wear that pin. So it gets the point across, and at the same time doesn't necessitate me losing, say, my licensure certificate, which is kind of an important document to hang on to.
  • A link to my blog. Okay, so this sounds totally self-serving, but really, I'm pretty sure I won't care about how much traffic my by-then-totally-abandoned blog gets. You, know, since I'll be way dead by then and all. But really, this blog tells so much about me. About who I am. About my family, our lives. About our infertility, how life-changing it has been for me, for us.
  • A copy of Goodnight Moon. Or Dinosaur's Binket. Or both. The first was the kid's fav book when he was a little thing. And the 2nd, is baby E's right now. Reading to the boys, and instilling a love of books in them is very important to me.
  • A DVD of Sweet Home Alabama, because it's like my favorite movie ev-uh. Don't judge. And I'm not giving up my copy, mind you. I'll buy another to throw in there. Even though I'm sure that DVDs will be long defunct by then.
  • My favorite pair of flip flops. Because I hope no one ever forgets how awesome flip flops are. And these can only go in because, sadly, they're kind of dead and must be replaced. I'm mourning them. Although, they probably will stink to high heaven 100 years from now. But I can't bear to throw them away, so this seems like a really good compromise. Sorry future generations for the smell.
  • Lastly, I will include a wish that infertility will no longer be a disease that millions of people around the world suffer from every year. A wish that every woman who wants to be a momma will have her sweet baby in her arms. Without having to endure the pain, grief, and sadness that infertility brings.
What would you include in a time capsule?

Today's lesson: Apparently flip flops aren't made to last forever . Bunch 'o crap, flip flop manufacturers, bunch 'o crap.

1 comment:

One and Done? said...

What a great idea for a post! Sounds like you picked some good items.

On a side note, I don't even want to think about what technology will be like that far into the future - feeling a little overwhelmed with what I have already! :P