Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Bumblebee

Today's HAWMC prompt is to make your own Health Madlib poem. Now, this seems like a fun idea, right? But, every time I tried to do this one of two things happened. First, I looked at aaallllllllll the words it wanted me to fill in, got completely overwhelmed and promptly left the site. This probably happened 5 or 6 times. At least.

Or second, I filled them in, and the result was absolutely, completely nonsensical. And not even in a minutely funny way. Like in a makes no freaking sense kind of way. And this seems appropriate, because that is usually what happens when I try to write poetry. Remember my attempts at Haiku? These were so much worse than even that.

So, I was left with a "what do I write today?" conundrum. And then someone posted this quotation on FB. (I'm all about the quotes/inspiration from FB lately, apparently).


Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway." ~ Mary Kay Ash


This reminds me so much of Baby E and all toddlers. Baby E is completely fearless. He climbs on everything, doesn't care how high. He explores everything. He will taste anything (food, compost, mud, whatev'). He loves with abandon. He just is. He isn't confined by fears. Or thoughts of what he isn't capable of. He simply believes he can do it all.

And I LOVE this about him, about toddlers.

Now, don't get me wrong, it can also be infuriating and completely scary about baby E, too, because he doesn't know that there are some things he should be afraid of. But, for the most part, I love to watch him try things over and over, refusing to believe that he can't do something. The possibility that he can't do something really just never enters his mind. It never dawns on him, "Hey, it may be that I just am not capable of this". Instead he sits and stews on it. Tries and tries and tries. Coming at things at different angles. Until he does in fact succeed.

Or has a complete meltdown. But even that isn't because he has realized he can't do it. He assumes it's because something isn't cooperating as it should.


Today's Lesson: Toddlers are amazingly simple creatures. They can do anything. If only the rest of the world would cooperate with them. I see so many older children and adults who could use a good dose of that "I can do it" mentality. Certainly, there are moments when I could use one, too.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the comment on my blog. I can't wait till I am in the toddler stage. (or the newborn stage, or any stage at all :)

ICLW #50

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for sharing that quote! I love it!

AS said...

This is super awesome.

Elizabeth said...

That quote made me burst into tears. Thank you for sharing.