Thursday, April 12, 2012

Lucky 300

My HAWMC prompt today was to start with the sentence "This morning I looked in the mirror and saw______________", and then just keep writing, don't stop, don't edit. Just post. So here it is.


This morning I looked in the mirror and saw me. And, after critiquing the eyebrows due for a few plucks, and the 2nd chin I hate, I thought, "you know what, I am a blogger". It's probably the first time I've thought of myself as an actual blogger. I mean, I've described myself as someone who writes a blog. But to say "I am a blogger" seems different somehow.

Today, you see, is my 300th post. Now, some of those posts were guest posts (3 to be exact, I believe). But, to be fair, I did write intros to all of those. So I think it still counts. And that's a lot of words, folks. (Yes, we know, they respond. We have had to read all that crap you write.)

I never dreamed when I started this blog, that I'd still be at it 3 months shy of three years later. To be honest, I kind of thought I'd get 4 or 5 posts in, and it would lie dormant. Like forever. One of those things that I start but don't finish because it's another task I didn't have time for.

Turns out this is quite an outlet for me. A place where I can say (nearly) anything I need to say. It's a place where I was able to, for the first time, really talk about and process infertility. A place where I've found support, unexpectedly. A place where I've connected with people who have "been there" and those, who even though they haven't been there, still get me. I hope I've been able to impart some laughter and maybe even a little insight along the way. I know I've certainly gained a lot of them.

So, thank you, people. Thank you for reading my words. For writing some back to me. For not telling me I'm a complete idiot (except when I am being one, of course). For simply being here.

Wonder if I have another 300 in me...

Today's lesson: Really, those unexpected things in life can teach us the most about ourselves, can't they?

6 comments:

E. Phantzi said...

Yay, congratulations on 300 posts! You write good stuff.

AS said...

I love your blog and am so glad you kept at it! Thanks, by the way, for commenting on mine about baby led weaning. I first heard of it from your blog, actually, and have been thinking that's the way to go, though we might mix in some pureed stuff for the iron content.

Motleymommy said...

Congrats on the 300 posts I hope to be there someday.

Your writing is clearly cathartic for you, I appreciate that I am not the only person who's kids do weird stuff. My J walked out of a store with a soda in his hand yesterday. when I realized it, he burst into tears and said "I don't wanna go to Kiddie jail!" I immediately thought of your experience with the Kid and had to chuckle.

Thanks for being real.

AB said...

I think I can safely say that for all of us who read and enjoy your blog we hope you have 300 more in you and with 2 kids and a hubby I am sure you do. Congratulations!!

Linda said...

Congratulations on post 300! I find blogging to be a great outlet also. Here is to the next 300.

Emms said...

I hope hope hope you have 300 more in you! I have loved you blog since the day I found it, and consider you one of my 'friends', I know I can always count on you for a laugh, a good thought provoking post, and some really good reminders to enjoy life and parenthood. Thanks Becky for being you!