Sunday, April 22, 2012

Earth Day

Today's HAWMC prompt is to make your own memo reminder, a la this website. And, since today is the 42nd annual Earth Day (as well as my friend Doug's birthday and he loves this day so much. Not really, though), I thought I'd write a note about that.

I know there's controversy about lots of things related to environmentalism and Earth Day (Is the earth's temperature really increasing because of humans? Are the world's oceans really on the brink of ecological collapse? And probably a hundred other possibly valid questions). But here's what it comes down to for me - we live here. We are responsible to treat our earth with respect. Period.

So, if only for today (though heaven knows we should do it every darn day!), don't forget to... Recycle. Turn off lights. Don't litter. Use cloth diapers. Don't flush old medications down the toilet. Turn off the water while you brush your teeth. Walk more. Drive less. Compost. Buy local. Eat local.  Do something.


Today's lesson: It's Earth Day, y'all. Don't forget that we're all responsible. Do something good today for the earth - and for us all! (Also, man, that freaking "post it not" up there took me a LONG time to do! I am no good with the computer graphics stuff.) Also, Happy Birthday, Doug :)

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I agree! Not only is this stuff good for the earth, it's good for your health! I cringed a bit when I read your mention of people flushing meds down the toilet thinking about how that could be in our water system now! Yikes! I don't want to be inadvertently be taking everyone else's prescription drugs! So, I agree 100% we're all responsible for taking care of the earth AND each other.

Lynn said...

Happy Earth Day! We're doing what we can to keep the Earth healthy. I wonder sometimes about the questions you mentioned, but, as you also said, we have to live here and future generations will as long as the Earth is around. Since we can't know the answers, it only makes sense to conserve where we can!