Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Healing Music

Today's HAWMC prompt is to come up with a theme song. Now, it suggests you write your own lyrics. And, to be honest, that's just not gonna happen from this girl. I love me some music (all kinds), but a song writer I am not. So, instead I thought I'd muse over the importance of music in my life.

You may or may not know, but I played the violin for about 11 years. Now please don't confuse the longevity of my playing with any actual talent in that area. I wasn't awful, but practicing was never my thing. I didn't aspire to be great. Mostly, I just wanted to be able to be a part of making music, and truthfully just be in the midst of it. I loved orchestra. It was one of my favorite times of day. To be surrounded by people who made me laugh, and listen to beautiful music (that I just tried not to make sound worse).

The university I attended didn't have an orchestra, so my violin playing quickly fell to the side. But I did continue to sing (you know, because in that way I was pretty good at making music). I sang, mostly at church, for years. Though once hubby and I got married, that petered out, too. Mostly, now, I sing in the car and to my boys. I've told you before how important that is to me.

As I think about music, I consider how much music has helped me through the years when I was having a bad moment. How many memories - good and bad - are tied to a particular song. The song that reminds me of the good times I had with the ex (who will probably now forever be known here as "the stalker"). The song that instantly takes me back to one of the most peaceful moments in my life which happened when I was in Italy. Lin.kin Park, which I play in the car when I'm good and ticked off, or just plain cranky (and it helps me out of my funk). Songs that instantly take me back to the throws of infertility (those I try to avoid for the most part, unless I'm in need of a good cry, lol).

Music is powerful. It has the ability to help us give words to emotions we can't explain ourselves. It makes memories indelible, easily recalled with just a few notes. It helps us relax, release, recover. Music is even better than magic. Because it's something we all can do - can all create - in some form or fashion. And, to me, the desire for music seems ingrained in our human DNA.

So, get out there and enjoy some music today. Also, if you want to write me a theme song, go at it.

Today's lesson: Music, lyrics, notes, rhythms. They are powerful.

1 comment:

Peg said...

As you know I also love me some good music and it helps me so much in many aspects if my life...joy, sorrow, love.