Saturday, March 5, 2011

Adoption Resource

I found a great resource for talking with kiddos about adoption, specifically if they were adopted. This one is geared towards kids between the ages of 3 to 5, but I think the website has ones for older (and probably younger) kids. I think handouts such as this one are really good for not just talking to kids who were adopted, but also talking to all kids about adoption. As I've said before, I think it's really important that we normalize adoption across society. Also, these kinds of handouts are, I think, a great resource to share with kids' teachers. I've been trying to figure out how we can best go about this when the kid starts kindergarten in the  fall. It's important to us that the school environment uses appropriate adoption language (i.e. not saying that birth parents "give up their babies for adoption", or that the kid IS adopted vs. WAS adopted - see this for my explanation/rant on that). If you have any suggestions on how to go about that, by all means, please share!!

Anyway, that's really all I'm going today, is just sharing this  HERE

Today's lesson - I never realized that I would know my kids' smell. But each of them smells unique to me. That may make me weird. Whatever. My babies smell good to me and I can't actually think of anything that smells better :)  Oh yeah, here's a pic of the kid, just cause he's cute.

No comments: