Sunday, February 6, 2011

Why today is special

Today is the anniversary of the day we first met the kid's birth parents. We had known they wanted to meet us for just 4-5 days. I was in planning mode. Hubby was in panic-shutdown mode. Those are just our roles when something big's about to happen. A visit was scheduled for Superbowl Sunday. We drove to their house in silence. Our social workers were meeting us there. I felt very nervous and tend to talk even more when in that state, some might consider it babbling. That's exactly what I did. But so did birthdad. He's also a talker. Hubby was very quiet, nearly comatose. Birthmom was also very quiet. I learned soon enough that she is just a really quiet kind of person. Our visit lasted longer than I'd expected, longer, I think, than our social worker's had expected.

We were thinking this whole time that it was a "let's meet them and see if we like them" kind of deal. But, after being there for most of the visit, I realized that they had already made their decision, before we ever arrived. Upon getting ready to leave, they asked us if we had names picked out yet. Birthdad reiterated, "this is your baby. I hope you're ready for him or her". They hadn't yet had any prenatal care so didn't know baby's gender. (Actually, we didn't know at all til the kid peed all over the doctor after delivery - dude, girls just don't do that.)

As we walked out of the house, this glazed look came over hubby's face. Frankly it stayed there til, well, probably til the kid was about a month old. After leaving, we went over to my mom's house, where I gushed about our meeting, and hubby sat there stone-faced. Then we went to a Superbowl party with camping friends. And there we first shared our news. For the first time, I got to say we were going to be parents, we were going to have a baby. It was surreal. It was amazing. It was 5 years ago today. I can hardly even begin to articulate how our lives have changed.

So today, on Superbowl Sunday, I celebrate for a different reason. I could care less about some football game. Honestly, I have no idea who's even playing. I don't even care that much about the commercials. I do enjoy the food though. Today I chose to remember the way my life changed in the biggest way. And the people who made that possible. L and D, where ever you are, today I thank you and send you extra gratitude, love and prayers.

Today's lesson - some things are worth celebrating. The day you learned you were going to be a parent is one of them.

No comments: