Sunday, December 5, 2010

Back at work

I can't believe it's been a whole week since I blogged. But, I suppose it makes sense since I've been so much busier being back at work and all. Wednesday was okay, because baby E was with me. Thursday wasn't too bad, because it was a short day (since baby E had his 2 month check up - more about that later), and my co-worker had her baby there for a few hours, which actually helped. Friday, though. Ugh. Friday kinda sucked. It was really quiet and I was exhausted (baby E got up a 430am, and by the time he went back to sleep, there was no point in going back bed; I only got about 5 hrs of sleep that night) and that made the day super long.

Baby E, fortunately, seems to be just fine. My dear friend is keeping him, which, frankly, is the only way I could bear to go back to work at all. I am glad he's fine, though a part of me wishes he would be fussy and unhappy, realize I was gone in some way! Instead, he seems completely content, the little stinker. It's good, I know, but still, a little bit of missing me would be nice.

I, however, don't think I can continue to do this. I don't want to work. I want be home. I want to focus on being a mommy, a wife. Hubby and I are actually seriously considering this. We are looking at our finances to see if it is even the slightest possibility. I know it will be a huge lifestyle change for us. I didn't think that would be okay. Now I do. I think it's worth it to spend so much time with my family. I now have a hard time seeing why I wouldn't want to be here (other than the financial aspect, which is, admittedly a huge consideration). Before, whenever I thought about staying home, I immediately thought about the professional needs I have. To be honest, I'm not feeling those tugs right now. And I know that there will always be social work jobs out there. Because I know the time will come when I'm ready to work again, when I need to focus my attention on my professional self, and not just my mommy and wife self. I just don't think that time is right now...

Oh yeah. Baby E's 2 month check up. He was up to 11lbs - that's 3lbs in 6weeks, people! Seriously, that baby sure loves to eat. The pediatrician said he looks great (and again repeated that whole "He's perfect. I think you should keep him" spiel, which was irritating and elicited a blank stare from me; I still don't think she got it). We'd decided before going that we're going to delay some immunizations. Baby E isn't in a daycare, or around a bunch of kids, so he's not at high risk. Some of the vaccinations we'll get soon, others, though, I'd prefer to hold off on for quite a while. I mean, really, why does an infant need an immunization for Hepatitis B? The pediatrician gave me "the look" and sighed, rolling her eyes a bit, when we told her we're going to delay. But when I asked her why he needed Hep B, she floundered and admitted that he doesn't. Same thing happened with regards to a couple of the others. I could tell she was getting annoyed, but oh well. I agreed that we'll get a couple, and then she said they couldn't give them there anyway since he's still on a medical card (can't be put on our insurance at present - complicated adoption thing) which doens't reimburse them enough. She said we'll have to go to the health department. Sigh. Nothing seems to be easy with baby E. Well, that's not true. Loving him has been easy. That makes up for the rest of the craziness.

Today's lesson - when talking to your kid about the yellow snow, make SURE he didn't eat it before he gives you a big, sloppy, wet kiss. Yeah. That's just gross.


Lechelle said...

I'm surprised you aren't being forced to do them. With Boston we wanted to delay some of his vaccinations, but because the adoption wasn't finalized for 7.5 months we were forced to get every vaccination exactly on the CDC schedule and they all let us know that if we didn't state that we intended to keep him on their schedule then it could jeopardize our adoption. It really bugged me. Now that it's finalized we actually have a choice, so like you, some will be received on their schedule and some will be delayed, each taken on a case by case basis factoring in Boston's health and surroundings vs the risks and benefits of each vaccination.

Becky said...

Well, we haven't exactly told them about it. They also haven't asked. I'm not sure what they would say, but we'll cross that bridge when/if we get to it. So glad you now get to decide :)

This Is Me... said...

I've really enjoyed reading your blog thus far! I am a social worker too and actually worked in the adoption realm for a few years! Currently, I am staying home with the kiddos and am totally enjoying it! We're still wondering if and when I will go back to "work". Part of me really wants to stay at home, part of me wonders if it would be a waste of my experience/education/etc. and the whole "wanting to save the world" disease thing (LOL) that us social workers have makes me want to get out there as well. I'm still on the fence and it's actually driving me crazy. What to do, what to do? Just wanted to tell you I can relate!