Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Superbowl

Last year I told you why the Superbowl is special to us. In short, it was on Superbowl Sunday that we first met the kid's birth parents. It was on Superbowl Sunday that we realized that - like, for real! - we were going to be parents. And soon. It was on Superbowl Sunday that we, for the first time, were able to say that we were "expecting", that, in fact it would be mere days before we would be parents. It is one of those days that I will never forget. It is a day that while the rest of the country gorges itself on food, I sit and smile, remembering the best gift I've ever been given. Hope, joy, parenthood, my sweet kiddo.

Last year, I wrote this:
"So today, on Superbowl Sunday, I celebrate for a different reason. I could care less about some football game. Honestly, I have no idea who's even playing. I don't even care that much about the commercials. Today I chose to remember the way my life changed in the biggest way. And the people who made that possible. L and D, where ever you are, today I thank you and send you extra gratitude, love and prayers."

This year, things are a little different. We know where L and D are. We've seen them and they've seen the kid. But the sentiments are the same. I thank them and hope they know how much we love and appreciate them.

For the record, I still don't know who is playing. And I still could care less. Yes, even about the commercials.

Today's lesson I will repeat from last year's - some things are worth celebrating. The day you learned you were going to be a parent is one of them. To add to that, I'm so glad you and the rest of the country is also celebrating with us ;)

3 comments:

Emms said...

What a sweet story, and something so much more important than football. Like you, i have no clue who is playing but will celebrate for you :)

Unknown said...

That is such an awesome memory!

Jenn and Casey said...

We're not super bowl people at all. But I am a BIG fan of this memory. Wonderful :)