Thursday, February 9, 2012

My baby is 6. Oh my.

I started thinking of all these emotional, gushy things to say about the day my baby was born. But then I remembered that I'd already said all of them last year. And all of that is still true of course. This day brings me smiles and joy, just in the remembering of it. It was a perfect day, 2/9/06.

But, today, I'd like to really tell you about who my sweet kid is, right now, as he turns 6.

Consider what a big year it's been for my boy. Really stepping into being a big brother (especially the part where he has to get used to baby E getting into all of his stuff). Starting public school. Being faced with his first bully (those awful mean girls). Starting gymnastics (and man, is he good at it!). Getting a real "big kid" room (pics of the robot room to come. Hopefully...). Losing his Oma. Having cranky, sleep-deprived parents short on patience (yeah, for a whole year). So many changes in a little person's life.

We've had bumps. Some small. Some enormous. Overall, the kid has way fewer time outs compared to a year ago. But the infractions that do earn them are a bit more irritating. I mean, where did these moments of disrespect come from?!

He's grown. Good grief is he tall now. He's just about up to my armpits. (And there's probably some kind of something to analyze in that comparison/measurement.) He seems so very grown up in many ways. And still very little boy in many others.

The things that come out of that boy's mouth! Oh my goodness. Hilarity one minute. Followed by some amazing insight the next. And whining about wanting his Optimus Prime the next.

The fascination with bathroom "stuff". You know. Like farts. And poop. (sigh) I live in a house with 3 boys (4 including the dog). I see a lot of this in my future. I can't say I'm pleased about it though.

He's busy. But in a different way than baby E, and really, in a different way than he used to be. He often seems unable to stop. But then he will. And sit and really listen. Or become absorbed in writing. Or say something deep and meaningful. And then he's off again, running laps around the house. That kid does have energy abounding. Not that that is new.

In some ways I grieve leaving the kid's baby times behind. He doesn't need his momma in the same way he used to. He still (tries to) curls up in my lap and gives and asks for frequent hugs. But he doesn't really come to me needing kisses when he gets hurt. He's losing that sweet baby smell. And it's been replaced by little boy funk. Of course his hair products blessedly covers that up most of the time. But sometimes there's a distinct stank.

He's absolutely sweet and loving, with not a mean bone in his body. I don't think this is something that will ever change. I think that is the essence of who he is.

Happy birthday, baby boy. Momma adores you for the being baby who made her a momma. For being the toddler who wrapped his gooey hands around her neck and whispered that she is "mine's momma!!!!!". For being the little boy who writes loves messages in a bottle declaring his love of his momma, his intention of living with her forever. For the opportunity to watch him continue to grow up.

Happy birthday, kid.

Today's lesson: Parenthood is such an education. Mostly about things you never expected.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are raising one awesome little boy! Happy Birthday kid!