Sunday, February 19, 2012

My new work schedule

This new job has really changed things up in our family. In addition to giving me my new-found anxiety about driving with the boys in the car, I'm now working two 12 hour (and two 8 hour) shifts. This leaves hubby home with the boys in the evenings a couple nights each week on single-Poppa duty. Also, I work every 3rd Saturday. That means more single parenthood for the hubby. He's been great about it, not complaining about this extra responsibility at all. He has expressed worry that we may have less time together, but I haven't seen this really happen. Fingers crossed it won't. Fingers also crossed that he doesn't start to bemoan his increased one-on-one time with the boys!

So, all that also means I now am only working 4 days/week. Which is fabulous. A couple of jobs ago, I used to work four 10 hour days, which I loved. This was my schedule for the first few years after the kid was born. It was nice to have that one-on-one Momma-kid time. So, it's nice to now have that with baby E. I do feel like I'm missing out on some time with my kiddo. And that makes me sad. Stupid public school 5 days/week schedule.

So far, the boys haven't seemed to really notice a change in my schedule. Other than the kid realizing baby E is getting to stay home with me more during the day. Not sure he's particularly thrilled about that. I think he mostly thinks that if E gets to be home, so should he. Also, now that I think about it, baby E has been wanting to nurse more often. But I don't necessarily know that that has anything to do with my schedule change.Who knows with that child.

All in all, we seem to be adjusting well. I think. I hope.

Today's lesson: Apparently I am the Dancing Queen. And I'm only 17. And young and sweet. At least according to my 6 year old. I'll take it. (Abba can clue you in, if you have no idea what I'm talking about. And, in which case, you'll have learned 2 lessons today, you lucky reader, you.)

No comments: